Friday, 16 July 2010

Hello!

日本を旅立ってからもう3週間以上経ってしまいましたが、ようやく初投稿です。これから2年間、青年海外協力隊員として活動する日々のあれこれを日本語と英語で書いていくつもりですが、英語の方はかなり間違いだらけだと思いますので、バイリンガルのみなさん、添削よろしくお願いします!

It has been more than 3 weeks since I left Japan, now this is the first post. I'm going to write about my 2 years as a member of Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers in Ghana.  I will try to write in both Japanese and English, but I think I will make lots of mistakes in English. So my bilingual friends, please correct them for me!


6月24日にアムステルダム経由でガーナへ到着しました。W杯でガーナが勝ち進んでいたので空港でも大盛り上がりでしたが、残念ながらベスト8で敗退してしまいましたね。私も日本にいるときから応援していたのですごく悔しかったです。

I arrived in Ghana via Amsterdam on June 24th. Ghanaian Black Stars were moving ahead to play in The World Cup, so people were excited even in the airport, but unfortunately we lost before the best 4. I have supported them before I came to Ghana, so it was really sad.


首都アクラには1週間ほど滞在して、JICA事務所でオリエンテーションを受け、7月3日から2週間、任地アコソンボでホームステイプログラムに参加していましたが、それも今日が最終日。明日の朝またアクラへ戻って、さらに1週間ほどオリエンテーションを受けてから、7月25日にまたこちらへ戻ってきて、26日からいよいよ本赴任となります。

I stayed in Accra for about a week for an orientation at JICA office. Now I'm in my assignment place Akosombo for 2 weeks for the home stay program, and today is the final day. I will go back to Accra tomorrow morning, have another orientation, then come back here on July 25th. I will start working from 26th.


アクラはさすが首都なだけあって人も車も多くて活気があります。到着してすぐは排気ガスで喉を痛めたりもしましたが、アクラモールという何でも揃うショッピングモールもあるし、お洒落なカフェやレストランもあるし、隊員用のドミトリーやJICA事務所や信頼できる病院もあり、とても便利なところです。

As the capital, Accra is very busy with lots of people and cars. I had a sore throat for a while after I arrived there because of exhaust fumes. But it is also very convenient with nice cafes and restaurants, big shopping mall called Accra Mall where you can get anything you want. We also have the dormitory for volunteers, JICA office, and reliable hospitals.


アコソンボはアクラから車で2時間ほどのところにあります。美しい自然に囲まれたのんびりした町です。正確にいうと、私の職場となるアスオジャマン郡役所はアティンポクという町にあり、住まいはアコソンボとアティンポクを結ぶ通り沿いにあるアファベンというところですが、アコソンボとアティンポクは車で10分もかからないくらいの近さです。

Akosombo is 2 hours drive from Accra. It has a magnificent landscape. Actually I will work at Asuogyaman District Assembly in Atimpoku, and will live in Afabeng on the way from Akosombo to Atimpoku, and the distance between them is within 10 minutes drive.


アクラでは、JICA職員やボランティアと過ごすことがほとんどだったのであまり「外国に来た」という感じがしませんでしたが、アコソンボではガーナ人の家庭にホームステイしているので、毎日ガーナらしさを感じながら過ごしています。

In Accra I was with JICA staff and other volunteers, so I didn't feel "I'm in the foreign country" so much. But here in Akosombo, I live with Ghanaian family, so I'm having Ghanaian style every day.


まず、朝が早い!私のホストファミリーはみんな5時には起きて、家中の掃除、洗濯、洗車を済ませ、それから朝ゴハンを食べてシャワーを浴びて仕事へ行きます。朝は8時くらいになると陽射しが強まってきて暑くなるので、その前に家事を済ますのはとても賢いと思います。

First of all, Ghanaians wake up very early. My host family wake up around 5am, and clean up the house, do laundry, wash the car, then have breakfast, have shower, and go to work. It's a good idea to do household things before it gets too hot around 8am.


それから、友だちや親戚や近所の人が頻繁にお互いを訪ねる習慣があるので、家の前に座っているだけでもいろんな人と話が出来ます。あと、テレビやラジオを大音量でつけておくのが好き。私も毎朝ホストファミリーがつけるラジオの音で目が覚めます。

Friends, relatives, or neighbors visit each other very often. You can meet many people just sitting outside the house. They like big sound volume of TV and radio. I wake up by my host family's radio every morning.


こちらの主食は、フフ、バンクー、ケンケという餅のようなものや、ヤム芋やインディカ米です。今のところ、家庭で麺類を食べたことはありません。フフは日本の餅つきと同じ要領で作ります。すごく大変な作業だけど、ほぼ毎日、家族で作って食べています。ちなみに、主食と一緒に食べるのは、魚や肉の辛くてオイリーなスープ。でもこれが美味しくて美味しくて、調子に乗って毎日毎食食べていたら、ついに先日、胃を痛めてしまいました。これからはもうちょっとペースを落として食べようと思います。

We eat Fufu, Banku, Kenke, Yam, or rice. I haven't had noodles in my host family's house. They make Fufu just like we make mochi (Japanese rice cake).  It's a hard work, but they make it almost every day at home. They are served with oily and spicy soup with meat or fish. It's really tasty so I had every meal every day, bu t then my stomach finally upset a few days ago. I will have to slow down.


あと、ガーナの人はとてもお洒落です。家ではTシャツとかだし、暑いときは上半身裸になってますが、外出するときは必ずアイロンをかけたシャツとズボン、または伝統のドレスを着ます。マーケットへ行けばいろんな生地を売っているので、好きな柄を選んで仕立ててもらうことができます。私も任地に落ち着いたらたくさん作る予定!

Ghanaians are dressed very fashionably. At home, they wear T-shirts and shorts, or when it's really hot they don't even wear T-shirt, but when they go out, they iron shirts and pants or Ghanaian traditional dress. You can get the fabric and make the dress at the market, so I will make a lot for me too after I settled in.


ガーナでは半数の人がクリスチャンなので、日曜日は正装して教会へ行きます。私もいちおうクリスチャンなので、ホストファミリーの教会へ連れて行ってもらいましたが、こちらの教会ではみんな大きな声で歌うし踊るし、すごくパワフル。私が日本で洗礼を受けたルーテル同胞教会系が首都にあるそうなので、そちらも行ってみたいと思います。

50% of Ghanaians are christian, so they go to church on Sunday wearing formal dress. I'm also christian, so I went to my host family's church. I found it very powerful. They sing and dance very well. My church in Japan is Lutheran, and I heard there is one in Accra, so I would like to visit there, too.


ところで、こちらでは基本的に水シャワーです。というか、水シャワーや水洗トイレがあるなら立派な家です。村落へ行く同期隊員は、汲んできた水での水浴びとボットン便所だそうです。年中暑いので水シャワーでもOKなんだけど、今は一番涼しい時期なので、ちょっと寒いです。あと、ちょこちょこ断水するので、生活用水は必ず大きな甕に貯めておき、トイレを流したり水浴びしたり洗濯したりするのに使います。最初は不便だなーと思いましたが、2週間のうちにそれも慣れてきました。私の任地は生活水準が高い方なのでほとんどカルチャーショックはないけれど、村落へ行った隊員はどうなのかな?明日みんなと再会できるので、色んな体験談を聞きたいと思います。

By the way, in Ghana, we usually use cold water shower. If you have shower or flush toilet, it is above average. Some of my fellow volunteers go to rural area, then they have to fetch the water for bathing, and toilet is just a hole. Basically it is hot here, so water shower is OK, but now it's the coolest season, so sometimes it's too cold for me to use the water shower. Also the water stops often, so we have to keep the water in a big tank, and use it for flushing the toilet, bath, or laundry. I found it difficult at first, but now I got used to it. Akosombo is not so inconvenient to live, but I wonder how is it in the rural areas. Tomorrow I would like to ask the experience my fellow volunteers had.


今回の同期隊員は私を含めて8名。ガーナ中に散らばるので、休暇を利用してみんなの任地へ遊びに行きたいです。ちなみに、我が任地アコソンボは観光地としても有名で、ボルタ湖やアコソンボダムの近くには高級ホテルもあります。みなさんも機会があればぜひ遊びに来て下さいね!

I have 7 fellow volunteers in my batch. We are assigned to all over Ghana, so I want to travel to visit them when I have time. Akosombo is a popular place, and we have luxury hotels near the Volta lake and Akosombo dam. So please come and visit me sometime!


写真はこちら You can see the photos here
http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/satoko0903/JOCV?authkey=Gv1sRgCLnp-Zu48MukjgE#

2 comments:

SETO said...

充実しているようで、何よりです^^
いろんなお話を聞かせてくださいね。
瀬戸

satoko said...

瀬戸先生、コメントありがとうございます!わりと快適な生活をしてますが、まだまだ分からないことがたくさんあって慣れるまで時間がかかりそうです。ぼちぼち更新していくのでまたお立ち寄りくださいねー。写真の方はこまめにアップしていくつもりです!

Post a Comment