今日は、ホストファミリーに誘われてガーナのお葬式に行ってみました。陽子さんに借りたガーナの喪服を着て、ホストファーザーに迎えに来てもらって、第1部の会場へ。親戚の家の前の広場で料理と飲みものが出されます。私が到着した11時半頃にはすでにたくさんの人が来ていて、さらに次から次へと来場者は後を絶たず。食事をしながらお喋りしたり、音楽に合わせて踊ったり。第1部は16時半頃まで続きました。
I went to the Ghanaian style funeral with my host family today. I wore Yoko's Ghanaian style mourning dress. Host father picked me up and we went to the first venue. They serve foods and drinks in the common in front of the relative's house. There were lots of people already when I arrived there around 11:30am. We ate, talked, and danced to the music. The guests kept coming, so the dinner lasted till 4:30pm.
第2部は小学校の敷地のような広場へ移動して、他に2人の方々と合わせて3人分のセレモニーが一緒に行われました。たくさんイスを並べたテントに囲まれてダンスフロアがあり、生バンド演奏でお葬式用の曲が流れ、ここでもみんな踊ったり食べたり飲んだりお喋りしたり。日本に比べるととてもにぎやかなお葬式。 私にとっては、ホームステイ中に連れて行ってもらった教会での歌や踊りに圧倒された時と同じように、とても違和感のあるものでした。これがカルチャー ショックっていうのかな?身の置き所がない感じ。ついには、お葬式に来ている人たちと話したりすることを放棄して、彼方の山脈や草を食むヤギをボーっと眺めて 現実逃避してしまったりしました。日本だったら、ボーっと彼方を見やっている人がいたら、そっとしておくだろうけれど、ここガーナではそうは問屋が卸しま せん。「そんなひとりポツンと離れてどうしたんだ!もっと近くにおいで!」と、話の輪の中へ引き戻されます。
Then we moved to the second venue. It was in the open space of an elementary school. The ceremony was for three people together. There was a dance floor surrounded by tents with lots of chairs. A band was playing funeral songs and people were dancing to the music, eating, drinking, and chatting. It was very gaiety compared to Japanese funeral. I felt strange as I felt similar at the churches I went during the home stay program. Is this so-called cultural shock? I didn't know what to do, felt uncomfortable, and ended up looking at the mountains or goats eating grasses, escaping from chatting with other guests. If it's in Japan, I guess we just leave her alone when she is daydreaming. But here in Ghana, they say "What are you doing out there by yourself?! Come closer!"and I was brought back to the chat.
19時くらいには親戚の一組に車で家まで連れて帰ってもらいましたが、なんだか疲れてしまいました。今日は陽子さんもアクラへ行ってしまっていて、ひとりきり。でも、大勢の人とずっと一緒にいて疲れた後、ひとりになってホッとしたかというとそういうわけでもなく、家の中が静かなのが寂しかったので、iTunesにスピーカーを繋げて大きめの音で好きな曲をガンガンかけてます。あー、落ち着く!まだまだガーナに溶け込めてない証拠かな。
A couple of the relatives drove me home around 7pm, and I felt so tired. Yoko is in Accra tonight and I'm alone. Even after getting tired of talking with lots of people, I didn't like the silence in the house, so I'm playing my favorite songs on iTunes loud with the external speakers. Oh I feel so comfortable! I guess I haven't fit in the Ghanaian life yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment