昨日の願いがさっそく叶いそうな予感。
I got off to a good start this morning as I hoped yesterday.
今日は、資料の宝庫であるブライアンのPCから、HIV/AIDSに関するものをいくつかコピーさせてもらいました。私に与えられたPCは不具合があって初期化して何もない状態だったので、今後の活動に必要なものがだいぶ揃った感じ。
Today I copied some documents related to HIV/AIDS from Brian's PC to mine. I had had nothing on my PC since I had to format it to solve technical problems. Now I've got something necessary for my activities.
それから、活動に関する今の心境を訊かれたので、「ほとんど何もしていない気がする」と伝えたら、「いろいろやってくれてると思うけど」と気遣いつつ、「じゃあ、世界エイズデーに向けて、郡役所としてやれるイベントを何か考えて」と突然の大役を任命されました。
Then he asked me how is my assessment on my activity, I told him I feel I've done almost nothing so far. He kindly said that he thinks I'm doing very well, but then assigned me to plan something to do with assembly members for the World AIDS Day.
世界エイズデーは毎年12月1日と定められているけれど、もう11月も下旬だから、12月1日じゃなくてもうちょっと後で大丈夫だし、凝ったことをする必要はないから、とのことだけど。それでも、郡役所の職員や郡内で活動しているナショナルサービス、総勢150名くらい?を対象としたイベントとなると、なかなか大変そうです。出来るのかな??
The World AIDS Day is on the 1st of December, but since it's already the end of November we don't have to do it on the day, and also we don't have to do something big, he said. Even though, the total of the participants, assembly members and national service personnel working in this district, will be approximately 150. Can I handle it??
午後、国内の電力共有や水道を管理している会社(ボルタ・リバー・オーソリティ、略してVRA)で生物学者として水質管理などに関わっている人がブライアンを訪ねて来た。挨拶を交わしてすぐ、「あなたは日本人ですか?」と訊かれた。この5ヶ月でたくさんのガーナ人に出会ったけれど、「中国人?韓国人?」と訊かれる(あるいは訊きもせず中国人と決め付けてくる)のが普通だったので驚いた。技術研修で3ヶ月ほど日本に行ったことがあるらしい。しかも、「琵琶湖という美しい湖のある滋賀県や、京都、大阪、東京、それから広島にも行ったよ」と、その時に訪れた日本の地名を(湖の名前も)間違いなく覚えていてさらに驚いた。行ったのは最近だったのかな?それにしても凄い。きっととても頭の良い人なんだろうと思う。
In the afternoon, a biologist who is working for Volta River Authority (VRA) the company provides national electricity and water supply, came to see Brian. He is taking care of the quality of water for VRA. Soon after we greeted each other, he asked me if I am Japanese. I've met a lot of Ghanaians for 5 months since I came here, but every one asked me if I'm Chinese or Korean (often even without asking they believed that I'm Chinese), so I was surprised that he knew I'm Japanese. He told me he had been in Japan for about 3 months for training. I also surprised that he told me he visited Shiga which has the beautiful lake named Biwa-ko, and Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo and also Hiroshima. He remembered the names in Japanese perfectly. Maybe it was very recently? Even though I think he is very smart.
水力発電に使うダムに水が溜まりすぎてしまったので放水しているという話になり、「放水するほど水があるのに、どうしてしょっちゅう断水するの?」と訊いたら、「断水は水不足のせいではなくて、浄水や給水のシステムに不具合が出るせいなんだよ」と教えてくれました。それから、アコソンボの水道水は毎月検査していて直接飲んでも問題ない水質を維持しているそうです。残念ながら、我が家は水道管が錆びているので濾過しないと飲めないけれど。あと、飲料水に使われる水源は非常に厳格に管理できているけれど、その他の流域では周辺の集落からの生活廃水などで汚染されているところも多いそうです。
He said that VRA is now releasing the water in the dam because they have too much, so I asked him then why we still have water cuts? Then he told me that the cuts are not because of shortage of water but technical problems of water sanitation or supply system. He was proud of the quality of water in Akosombo which he tests every month if it's available to drink from tap. Unfortunately my pipe is rusty that I have to use the filter. He also told me that the water body for drinking water is under controlled rigorously, but in other watershed areas it is often polluted by domestic wastewater.
夕方、郡内で新しく活動を始める団体が郡役所所長に挨拶に来たので同席。彼らは宗教的奉仕活動をとおしてエイズ対策を行っている団体。具体的には、対象地域のイスラム教とキリスト教の教会と協力して、信者への予防啓発活動や差別偏見を減らすための活動を行います。これは新しい試みなので、郡役所としても深く関わって行こう、ということで、私もほぼ全てのイベントに同行することになりそうで楽しみです。
In the evening, an organisation who starts their activity in our district for the first time came for a courtesy call on our chief executive so I joined them. They are called Faith-based organisation, and they are implementing HIV/AIDS prevention and educational activities, particularly in a collaboration with Muslims and Christian churches to reach their target for prevention of new infection, reducing stigmatization and so on. This is a kind of new approach so the district assembly wants to commit to carry it out successfully, and I will participate to almost all activities on behalf of assembly... sounds interesting!
No comments:
Post a Comment