日曜日からアクラへ来ています。今回の上京は2週間の予定で、今週の月曜日から来週の火曜日まではブライアンと一緒に「エイズ対策におけるモニタリングと評価」という研修に参加し、その後は隊員総会などの公式行事に参加する予定です。
I'm in Accra since last Sunday, and will stay for 2 weeks. From this Monday till next Tuesday, I'm attending the workshop of "HIV/AIDS Monitoring and Evaluation" with Brian. Then I will attend JICA's programs such as JOCV general assembly meeting etc.
月曜から始まった研修は、米国大統領エイズ救済緊急計画(PEPFAR)の支援で、ガーナ大学の公衆衛生研究所で開催されています。初日に、研修中のルールやクラス代表などを参加者で話し合って決めました。講義では、講師が重要な概念や具体的な手法などを説明し、参加者がグループに分かれて例題を解いたり解答について全体で議論しあったりしながら理解を深めて行きます。
The M&E workshop is sponsored by The U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and is held in The School of Public Health, University of Ghana. On Monday, we decided ground rules, class representative, and so on by discussion. In the class, the facilitator give lectures of important concepts or methods, and participants do exercises as group works, then have discussions to promote better understandings.
講義も議論も全て公用語の英語で行われます。初日は流れを理解するのだけで精一杯で自分の意見を言う余裕はなかったけれど、2日目からはなるべくたくさん発言したり質問したりしています。でも、急に英語力が上がって流暢に話せるようになったというわけではありません。相変わらず簡単な単語しか使えないし、文法も間違いだらけです。
Lectures and discussions are in English. On the first day, I was obsessed with understanding what's going on, I couldn't give my opinions. But from the second day, I'm giving my opinions and asking questions as much as possible. It's not because my English was improved suddenly. I'm still using very basic words and making grammatical mistakes a lot.
それでも活発に発言できるようになれた理由はふたつ。まず、初日には間に合わなかったマニュアル(飛び入り参加だったので)が届いて、講義の内容を理解しやすくなったから。そして、「間違えることは恥ずかしいことではない」ということが分かったから。
There are two reasons why I became active: 1) I got the manual book on the day2 (since I'm a unofficial participant), and became able to understand the contents easily. 2) I realized that it's not a shame to make mistakes.
私の英語は完璧ではないけれど、英語が流暢なガーナ人だって、見当違いな発言を堂々としてる。むしろ、ちょっと違うのでは?という発言の時こそ、なぜそれがおかしいかを考えて認識を正していける良い機会、という感じで受け止められているようです。
My English is not perfect, but even Ghanaians who can speak English give irrelevant opinions without hesitation. It's more like welcomed when someone give such opinions so that we can consider why it's not agreeable and it helps us understand the topic better.
この研修は今後の活動にとても役立つと思うので、あと3日、頑張りまーす!
The workshop is really useful for my activities, so I will do my best for more 3 days!
No comments:
Post a Comment